Saturday, January 14, 2012

Review: A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1) by Shelley Gray

About Shelley Gray:

I live in southern Ohio with my husband, two teenagers, and two dogs. My days are filled with busy activities like most any other mom and housewife. But I also love to write books.

Each morning, after my kids go off to school, I sit at my desk, look out my window, and dream of other places. The hours fly by as I make up people and places and drink way too much coffee.

Writing for Avon Inspire has truly been a dream come true. Being able to spend my days in my make-believe world of the Brenneman Bed and Breakfast is a true blessing. I have enjoyed getting to know more about the Amish culture and tapping into my faith as I show each character’s progression toward a personal relationship with our Lord.

Before becoming a full time writer, I taught elementary school in Texas, Arizona, and Colorado. A job transfer to Ohio led my husband to encourage me to finally give writing a try. After all, I had notebooks full of made up stories.

I’ll never forget that first book I typed in our unfinished basement. It was exciting to make up a story, but also very scary. I was also so embarrassed, sure someone would come out of the woodwork and point out that I wasn’t a ‘real’ writer. But I persevered, and sold my third manuscript.

Things have changed a bit. Now I have a real office of my own. (think old guest bedroom!) My walls are painted pink, and more than a couple of book covers decorate my walls. But my days are still the same. I wake up, dream about other people, and do my best to type out stories.

Website:  http://www.shelleyshepardgray.com
Genre:  Religion & Spirituality, Romance, Literature & Fiction


About Book:

Past promises will be tested as new ones are given...

When Clayton Proffitt, foreman of the Circle Z Ranch in Texas, discovers Vanessa Grant crying in the barn late one night, he first thinks she’s gotten herself into another scrape. But when he spies the marks on her back and hears about her stepfather’s advances, Clayton knows he must spirit Vanessa away to safety.
As they make their way west, it becomes apparent that there’s something special between Vanessa and Clayton— far more significant than mere friendship or his sense of duty. Unfortunately, also heading west are Vanessa’s brother Miles and her stepfather Price Venture. Price wants Vanessa back for obvious reasons; Miles wants to earn his stepfather’s respect. Eventually, unexpected confrontations reach a harrowing conclusion. As their family begins to heal, their journey and trials they've faced helps them realize their future is in God's guiding hands.

Same author as Shelley Shepard Gray.

To Read Chapter One Click Here


My Review:
Clayton Proffitt, foreman of the Circle Z Ranch in Texas, finds eighteen year old Vanessa Grant in the barn crying. After he gets a closer look at her he notices she has bruises and blood on her. She confides in him that the injuries were caused by her stepfather, Price Venture. In fear of Vanessa's well being Clayton convinces her it would be best if he take her away from her stepfather and her home to find a safe haven at his sister's home. Clayton is very aware that Price will not give up searching for her.

Clayton's character is definitely a hero and he is a take charge kind of man. I loved how protective he was over Vanessa and was a gentleman at all times. Clayton seems to be able to calm a situation that has gone out of control. He shares his love and belief in God to all who were willing listen.

Vanessa's character was needy and very naive. She had a crush on Clayton since he began working on the ranch when her father was still alive. Yet she had no one to protect her after her father died. Her mother and her older brother, Miles had their own problems with Price. But Vanessa was unaware that Clayton had made a promise to her father to protect her. She agreed to go away with Clayton to hide away from her stepfather. While on the trail to their destination there were trials they had to endure. In her journey she matures from a girl to a young woman falling in love with her hero. But does he just see her as a young girl?

I highly recommend this book.

I rate this book a 5 out of 5.

Disclosure:
I purchased a copy of this book for my own personal use. I was in no way compensated for this review it is my own opinion.

Was my review helpful yes or no permalink
******


Photobucket
click on image to learn more

No comments:

Post a Comment